Forcing Wine process to use a specific IP address

Keshav Attrey keshav at gatech.edu
Sun Jun 18 18:13:06 CDT 2006

I want to make a process running under Wine believe that its machine's IP
address is whatever IP address I specify.  More specifically: I have set up
several virtual interfaces on my machine. When I run a process under Wine, it by
default uses the actual IP address of the machine, which is normal.  But I want
to force the process to be able to see and use only the virtual IP address that
I specify, and not the real IP address of the machine.

Do you have any ideas on how to do this?  I have been trying to go through the
Wine source code, and have been looking in socket.c and iphlpapi_main.c, but I
have not been able to find the right places to change to force Wine to use only
one particular IP address.

The big idea is to run many copies of a Windows app on the same machine and make
each copy think that it is running on a separate machine, each with its own IP
address.  Although VMWare or QEMU would make this possible, Wine is so much
lighter that I could have many more copies of Wine running than VMWare.  I
imagine Wine would also be lighter than using Wine over Linux VServer or FreeBSD
Jail... but I'm not quite sure.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Keshav