[Bug 5463] ie6 installs now, but doesn't work...

Stefan Dösinger stefan at codeweavers.com
Wed Jun 21 04:03:18 CDT 2006

Am Mittwoch 21 Juni 2006 10:41 schrieb Ulrich Dobramysl:
> Vitaliy Margolen wrote:
> > Tuesday, June 20, 2006, 11:27:04 AM, Peter Åstrand wrote:
> >> On Mon, 19 Jun 2006, Wine Bugs wrote:
> >>> vitaliy at kievinfo.com changed:
> >>>
> >>>           What    |Removed                     |Added
> >>> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
> >>>----- Status|RESOLVED                    |CLOSED
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> ------- Additional Comments From vitaliy at kievinfo.com  2006-19-06 14:11
> >>> ------- Again this is not a bug. There is nothing to fix because there
> >>> is nothing that broke.
> >>
> >> I disagree. If IE doesn't run, it's a bug. I would actually say that
> >> it's a major bug - IE is one the those core applications that users
> >> expects to work.
> >
> > What would you say if I open a bug about "Windows doesn't work on Wine"? 
> > Or better yet, "Can not upgrade Wine to winxp".
> >
> >> You are incorrect about "there is nothing to fix": Perhaps the source
> >> code is fine, but the documentation is certainly not.
> >> http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?versionId=469 even says:
> >> "(to be continued because then it still doesn\'t run because of ole
> >> errors)"
> >
> > This is _not_ a documentation. If you are not happy with something on
> > appDB ask app maintainers to change that.  Of course suggestions are
> > welcome to what do you want to see there.
> >
> >>> Anyone is welcome to write up instructions on what to override and
> >>> place them in appDB. Bugzilla is not the right place for that.
> >>
> >> Why do you think Bugzilla cannot be used for tracking documentation
> >> bugs? There is a "wine-documentation" component and a "WineHQ Apps
> >> Database" component, if you think that wine-misc is totally wrong.
> >
> > Because that's exactly what appDB is for.
> >
> >> I would very much prefer is this bug could be left open until someone
> >> has managed to figure out what needs to be overridden to actually *run*
> >> IE.
> >
> > I explained in the bug and will repeat here. Wine does not run windows.
> > Wine runs windows applications. That's the main goal. The ultimate goal
> > is to run every windows application without using any native component.
> > That way Wine will be 100% replacement to windows. If you install any
> > part of windows (per m$) you have to have windows licence.
> >
> > I'm not saying that some one can not find a way to run ie on Wine. In
> > fact I spent quite some time putting that "magic" list of overrides
> > together. Now it's been removed because Wine has it's own replacement for
> > ie whenever app needs that.
> If you are saying that Wine shouldn't actively try to support IE like
> other Apps, I very much regret this. As a part time web developer I have
> learned to hate IE very much, each and every bit of web code written has
> to be tested with it and I always had to go and find a Windows machine
> to do this. Supporting IE in Wine would help a lot of web developers to
> migrate completely to Linux.
Well, not really

Internet Explorer on wine is not guaranted to render things like Internet 
Explorer on Windows. You can reduce the differences by using as much native 
dlls as possible(mshtml, shdocvw, dcom, ...), but there might still be 

If you run IE with the builtin dlls you have pretty much a Mozilla Gecko based 
Browser with the gui of IE. Just run the Acid 2 test in msie with builtin 
mshtml and compare the output to the rendering on Windows and the rendering 
in Firefox.

What I want to say is that one can't really use wine to see if pages render 
correctly in IE. However, I still think that IE should be installable and 
work with its native dlls(including mshtml and dcom), because it is helpful 
to check if a bug in another application is caused by shdocvw, mhtml and 
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 191 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/attachments/20060621/5435af6e/attachment-0001.pgp

More information about the wine-devel mailing list