How do I get the unix filename for a wine handle?

Christoph Probst chris-usenet at netzpunkt.org
Fri Jun 23 14:19:46 CDT 2006

Hi,

I'm one of the Google Summer of Code students and I'm working on the ClamAV
integration in wine. Today I was discussing an issue with my mentor and he
suggested to post it here.

Currently I'm working on a scan-after-write functionality: Whenever a file was
changed the virusscanner checks the file.

My plan is to hook in NtWriteFile() (dlls/ntdll/file.c), because whenever a
windows program writes to a file this function is called. Within this
function the file is accessed using its unix_handle.

The problem is that I need to know the unix filename for clamAV to access the
file, but I see no proper way or function to get it as long as I just know
the unix_handle or fd.

Possible solutions so far:

1. searching /proc/self/fd/%d for the name. This would be an easy but
   very ugly solution.

2. maintaining a table mapping unix_handles to filenames from within
   NtCreateFile(). Hence I don't have the feeling that this is a good
   solution.

3. storing the unix filename in the wineserver handle object when it's
   created. This is probably the right place to keep this information but
   it would require some changes to the wineserver. If I understand it
   right it is already planned to implement something like this
   ("lookup_name" in server/object.c)

But maybe I just missed an even better approach. What would you recommend to
do? Any comment is appreciated.

Cheers,
Chris

--
Kontakt-Details: http://www.christoph-probst.com/kontakt/
PGP-FP: B171 7EA4 988C DD90 1601  D21C 5279 2FAF 9978 AF86