SecuRom investigation

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Sun Jun 25 13:14:07 CDT 2006

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 02:34:24 +0100, Martin Owen wrote:
> which if we could get our hands on the source code would at least give
> us more information about how this security works and may even allow us
> to work around it perminently with in wine.

The goal is not to work around it, the goal is to make it work! That is,
it should not be any easier to copy games by using Wine.

As for getting the SR code itself, no can do. We just need to solve this
one the hard way and that means just bashing away at the bugs one at a
time. All copy protection uses kernel drivers these days so the NTOSKRNL
work is required first.