wine autorun utility

nlaw at nildram.co.uk nlaw at nildram.co.uk
Thu Jun 29 21:13:29 CDT 2006

William Knop wrote:

> On Jun 29, 2006, at 8:59 PM, Vitaliy Margolen wrote:
>> Thursday, June 29, 2006, 12:02:38 PM, William Knop wrote:
>>> Having the ability to autorun cds is most definitely not a misfeature.
>> Of course it's not. It's the perfect means of distributing trojans,
>> backdoors,
>> rootkits and other very useful software an every CD, including DVDs
>> and music
>> CDs.
>
> If your assuming said media is compromised in such a way, requiring
> the user to manually run the executable will not protect him. The fact
> is, most media is not compromised. Software publishers ensure they are
> not. Most windows users can trust their software publishers. For those
> who cannot, they can simply click "No" when the dialog pops up. Or
> they can set it to never autorun. Or they could set it to virus-scan
> before autorunning. Everybody's happy.
>
> One thing I'm sure of: If regular guy Joe Schmo has to run executables
> from CDs manually, he will either say CDs don't work in wine or say
> that wine is a PITA to use.

I totally agree, autorun is a must (ok put in all the checks) but wine
is being put together for the average user isn't it, that means if they
put in a CD they expect it to do something, and don't care whether it's
100% secure, (that's the job of the virus/spyware detection software).
Now wouldn't that be something wine with AVG/Spybot/Adaware buildin.
Although I heard today Microsoft has just done that, a security suite
for windows of course you have to pay a subscription otherwise they
can't guarantee windows will be secure, mmm ...

However, seeing as you can't even install a multi CD game in wine
without the game complaining about the fact it can't find CD 2, perhaps
priorities need to be sorted. What's the point of autorun when the app
throws a wobbly when it gets to CD2