wine autorun utility

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 00:10:19 CDT 2006

On 6/30/06, Chris <chris.kcat at gmail.com> wrote:
> This sounds like you missed my point.

I think you're missing our points Chris...

> it's not inherently detramental (since the user would be instructed to manually do
> what autorun does automatically

Yeah.  The Sony rootkit users would have gladly followed the
instructions on their _audio CDs_ telling them to install software
that prevented fair use and installed illegal software.

We're not talking about preventing legitimate use of auto-running CDs.
 We're talking about a sound, simple, and easy way to prevent
illegitimate exploitation.

If you can develop a way for Wine to automatically determine whether
or not an executable on removable media is something useful or a
rootkit, then you may get a little more enthusiasm for this 'feature'.

--tim