WRT: winetest-latest is outdated

Paul Millar paul at astro.gla.ac.uk
Sun Mar 5 12:40:49 CST 2006

Hi Detlef,

On Friday 03 Mar 2006 22:49, Detlef Riekenberg wrote:
> Hi.
>
> The latest Winetest-Binaries are outdated
> ( http://www.astro.gla.ac.uk/users/paulm/WRT/CrossBuilt/?N=D ).

Yup.

I'm trying to migrate from the old computer (an old RH-7.3 box much like
Frankenstein's monster) to a more manageable machine (running Debian etch).
Cross-building isn't working on the new machine yet and is currently broken
on the old one.

> Winetest (ELF) compiled again recently
> ( http://www.astro.gla.ac.uk/users/paulm/WRT/wrt.php ),
> but the crossbuilds are still missing.

That's true: the two builds are independent.  The wine tests had a different
problem, for which I've a work-around now.

> Is there anything that we can do for help?

Yes.  The autoconf-generated script seems to be getting confused when
cross-compiling.

When cross-compiling, I do something similar to the following:
  1. get the source-code and move to directory wine-cross-source

  2. In directory wine-cross-elf, do:
    ../wine-cross-source/configure && make depend && make tools

  3. In directory wine-cross-pe, do:
   ../wine-cross-source/configure --host=i686-mingw32msvc \
         --with-wine-tools=../wine-cross-elf

After that, it does a "make depend" and a bunch of other stuff to get
winetest.exe, the DLLs and other EXEs.

Step 3 is failing.  It looks as if the configure script becomes confused
between cross-building and native environments, in particular with OpenGL
libraries.  Although the code is cross-compiling, it seems to pick up the
native GL libraries and header files.  Then, when the cross-compiler fails
(to link some glx symbol, iirc), the configure script dies.

When it fails, the configure script gives a hint that the
file /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.a should be removed.  Doing this certainly fixes
the cross-compilation and the ELF compilation still works as it links against
the .so version.  However, removing the xlibmesa-gl-dev package isn't
feasible as its need by many other -dev packages and would break OpenGL
compilation.

This looks like a bug in configure.ac, as why should a native static library
break cross-compilation.

Any clues?

Cheers,

Paul.

config.log is available from:
  http://www.astro.gla.ac.uk/users/paulm/config.log

The last few lines from running configure are:
checking for GL/gl.h... yes
checking for GL/glx.h... yes
checking for GL/glext.h... yes
checking for up-to-date OpenGL version... yes
checking for glXCreateContext in -lGL... no
configure: error: /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.a is present on your system.
This prevents linking to OpenGL. Delete the file and restart configure.