Question about copyright lines

Troy Rollo wine at troy.rollo.name
Sun Mar 5 15:02:18 CST 2006

On Saturday 04 March 2006 12:32, Segin wrote:

> >For protection in countries which are signatories to the UCC but NOT
> >the Berne Convention (I don't know of any offhand), the year and name

> Ok, but you still need to put the copyright year/holder's name in a
> certain order, as your last paragraph said.  Just not nessessrary for
> most countries.

Since accession to the Berne Convention is a requirement for membership of the
WTO, parties (not signatories, which is a different thing with little
practical meaning) to the UCC who are not parties to the Berne Convention are
such a small set now that it is probably not worth worrying about. These days
the copyright notice has more value as: a means of giving credit; a means of
letting others know who they need to ask if they wish to do something outside
the license; and a method to assist distant future users of materials in
identifying when a work enters the public domain.
Troy Rollo - wine at troy.rollo.name