FW: Re: Wine testing and Guild Wars: Factions Beta weekend March 24th

Jeremiah Powell waveclaw at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 6 00:30:05 CST 2006

Please see below.

>From: Alexandre Julliard <julliard at winehq.org>
>To: "Jeremiah Powell" <waveclaw at hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: Wine testing and Guild Wars: Factions Beta weekend March 24th
>
>"Jeremiah Powell" <waveclaw at hotmail.com> writes:
>
> > I would like to extend this opportunity to someone in the wine
> > development community.  Who would like a chance to collect data on the
> > behavior of running Guild Wars under wine?
> >
> > How about for free?
>
>That sounds good, you should ask on wine-devel, I'm sure people would
>be interested.
>
>--
>Alexandre Julliard
>julliard at winehq.org

I have 3 guest keys for the Guildwars: Factions BWE starting March 24th.
Everyone I know already plays Guildwars on Windows.  The Wine D3D support
has gotten to the point of running Guildwars in a playable state[1].  I'd
like offer these keys to the wine developers for debug purposes. In
particular, I'd like committers on the D3D subsystem and the sound systems
to enjoy a little free game time while collecting some valuable data[2].

There are only 3 keys.  These are free TRIAL accounts, good for only that
weekend. If you buy the game, you can open the accounts back up at a later
time.  The game client generates the account-contact emails from personal
email addresses I give it, but  they are in no other way assocaited with my
account(s).  Please reply to me directly if you want the keys, but keep the
spam to a minimum.  A list of people getting the keys can be posted if the
list wants.

JD 'too much hotmail spam anyway' Powell
---

1. While not stable, normal play is possible. I use SuSE OSS 10 with ATI's
fglx drivers, and Cedega chokes on for this 'supported' game during screen
changes, which the Wine D3D code handles gracefully.

2. From the appdb:

Guildwars is a pure DirectX game that uses no opengl, no SDL, etc.
Guildwars was functional under wine until the September 2005 Sorrow's
Furnace update.  Now game client has two modes in which it can be run.
Normally, guildwars tried to use DirectX's shading language.  This causes it
to fail under Wine.  With the '-noshaders' option, the game falls back on
only the older DirectX calls.

Other interesting features include toggling sound support with '-nosound'
and output of triangles, fps, networking information with 'perfs' and
starting in a window with '-windowed.' A 3rd party sound expansion is
available that integrates with the DRM system in Media Player 9, but can be
patched out by moving the DLL to another location.