WINED3D: Implement GetCreationParameters

Peter Beutner p.beutner at gmx.net
Tue Mar 7 16:22:28 CST 2006

H. Verbeet schrieb:
> On 07/03/06, Ivan Gyurdiev <ivg2 at cornell.edu> wrote:
>> This doesn't really make sense to me - the point of unspecified behavior
>> if a parameter is NULL would be to speed up the function under contract
>> with the caller. If you're already doing the check, why not handle it in
>> some way other than crashing?
> Because we *want* to crash and get a nice backtrace.
hm maybe I'm missing something but afaik you will get a backtrace right back into the
application code, which will help you exactly nothing (unless you have the source
code of the game and the binary doesn't have its debugging information stripped
which is very likely not the case).
So you have to figure out where you might have returned something wrong by looking at
the traces from _before_ GetCreationParameters.
The backtrace itself won't give you _any_ clues.

Unless some app relies on this crashing behaviour(which I doubt), I don't think wine
should implement bugs just because MS does it.
Seems a bit obscure strategy to me to crash in case of an error instead of proper
error checking/reporting.