System wide registry

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Wed Mar 8 08:01:12 CST 2006

Hi,
> In WINE user guide I read int the System Administration Tips
> about global registry files (f.i. /usr/local/etc/wine.systemreg)
> But I can't find any code in WINE about it. It is obsoleted now?
> Is it possible to use system wide registry now?
I created an /etc/wine directory with a system.reg, userdef.reg and dosdevices
file, owned by a user "wine". In the other users .wine directory, there's a
individual user.reg file, and a symlink to the files in /etc/wine/. The
virtual c drive is in /opt/windows, owned by wine:users This way, there's a
system-wide system.reg file, and wine is more or less the admistrator. The
Linux file permissions prevent others from writing to /opt/windows and
system.reg. An user can modify HKLM, but the changes won't get written to
disk and get lost after his wine process terminates.

Theoretically, you can use the root account instead of a special user, but
it's highly discoraged to run wine as root, due to security concernes. You
have to be aware that many Windows apps require full access to system
directories or their install directories, but that's a problem Wine can't
solve, and Windows suffers from that too.