WINED3D: Implement GetCreationParameters

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Wed Mar 8 08:30:35 CST 2006

Peter Beutner <p.beutner at gmx.net> writes:

> Or look at it from the view of a user developing a winelib application. I'm sure
> he will very much appreciate it when wine does a better parameter checking than MS
> and returns an error instead of a crash backtrace ;)
> Imo a library is supposed to validate given parameters as much as possible and
> rather return an error to the caller than to crash.

It's just the opposite actually. A good library (which the MS ones
certainly aren't...) should crash on bad pointers, so that bugs can be
found and fixed. Hiding bugs and trying to stumble along is the MS
way, this is what leads to idiocy like having an exception handler in
lstrlen(). So if in this case Windows doesn't have a check we
certainly don't want one either.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org