May be a bad idea to have Winetools in the next SUSE release

Mike McCormack mike at codeweavers.com
Thu Mar 9 21:00:52 CST 2006

Rich Gilson wrote:

> On Thursday 09 March 2006 08:27, Joachim von Thadden wrote:

>>customized to point and click interfaces. Again: The goal is not to
>>develop Wine. The goal is to use it easy.

I think you'd have alot more friends around here if your goal was to
help develop Wine.  As it stands, WineTools somewhat impedes testing and
bug reporting of Wine versions of dlls (eg. ole32, oleaut32, rpcrt4)
since you encourage your users to use Windows versions of those dlls,
even though the Wine ones work for many applications.

> IMHO, the Wine developers should spend less time b*tching about Winetools and
> more time figuring out how they can 1) build a front-end that is better than
> Winetools, or 2) help improve Winetools so that it works more to their liking
> but still offers an easy, user-friendly interface.

As Joachim states, his "goal is not to develop Wine".  That's kind of
incompatible with the goals of "Wine developers", isn't it?

Mike