Some Processor(s) specific environment variables

Paul Vriens Paul.Vriens at xs4all.nl
Tue Mar 14 12:38:01 CST 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 19:13 +0100, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 06:35:39PM +0100, Paul Vriens wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > there are some processor specific environment variables:
> >
> > NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=1
> > PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
> > PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=x86 Family 6 Model 9 Stepping 8, GenuineIntel
> > PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6
> > PROCESSOR_REVISION=0908
> >
> > (from a VMware box).
> >
> > These variables exist in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet
> > \Control\Session Manager\Environment.
> >
> > Psinfo.exe (from SysInternals) uses these env-variables to produce some
> > information.
> >
> > When I remove the entries and reboot the box they are auto-generated
> > again.
> >
> > My question is where to put the generation of these variables? We most
> > likely want this with some defaults in wine.inf. Furthermore
> > GetSystemInfo() could be changed, but that seems cheating.
>
> dlls/kernel/cpu.c does stuff like that, for instance.
>
> Ciao, Marcus

Yeah, that's where GetSystemInfo resides :-). GetSystemInfo however
doesn't generate the mentioned keys.

Would it be acceptable to put some sane defaults in wine.inf and have
GetSystemInfo check and fill the correct keys in the registry? Or do we
need a way to fill these keys at every boot of the system (start of
wineserver)?

Paul.