My two cents about winetools and the suggestions I read in Issue 308

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Mar 17 09:37:50 CST 2006

On 3/17/06, Joachim von Thadden <thadden at web.de> wrote:
> Am Do, Mär 16, 2006 at 11:41:53 -0800 schrieb Dan Kegel:
> > Instead, it should just be a couple of checkboxes for
> > optional things like dcom98 and IE6, shouldn't it?
>
> I think this is not enough. After you installed IE6 how do you want to
> disable it? Many apps are looking directly for it. They will behave
> different in that case. Or did I misunderstood?

Once you've installed IE6 or dcom98, they're there for good.
I just want to make sure you don't encourage users to install
them.

One other thing we need is an easy way to defeat
those checks for particular versions of IE.  For instance,
many apps check one registry key, and some apps check
for one particular DLL (it can be zero size, even!).
Wine itself should probably come with a shell script that
creates these, and wineconf and/or your tool should
provide an easy way to run it...
- Dan