Add a test for bitmap font metrics to ensure that they match the Windows ones

Huw Davies huw at codeweavers.com
Fri Mar 17 06:15:13 CST 2006

On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 02:01:41PM +0800, Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:
> "Huw D M Davies" <h.davies1 at physics.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > Looks like this might be a fontforge or FreeType problem.  Windows
> > courier at 13 ppem should have an ascent of 11 and a descent of 2,
> > which is what we have in the .sfd.  Now, when I run sfnt2fnt on the
> > generated .ttf I get an ascent of 13, ppem of 13 and hence a descent
> > of 0.
> >
> > I'm not going to have time to look into this soon, so please feel free
> > to investigate more.
>
> Looks like it's a sfnt2fnt bug and not a fontforge or FreeType problem.
>
> This patch tests bitmap font metrics to ensure that they match the Windows
> ones. The patch discovers a bug in sfnt2fnt which causes Courier font to
> have wrong ascent and descent values (13/0 instead of 11/2). courier.ttf
> generated by fontforge from courier.sfd has correct values, but courier-*.fnt
> files have wrong values.

Well we get the ascent from the height of the Aring glyph.  As far as
I can tell this is 11 in fontforge.  So somewhere between fontforge's
export as a ttf and sfnt2fnt reading that ttf (using FreeType) the
value has changed to 13.  Hence my comment that either fontforge or
FreeType is doing something odd.

Huw.
--
Huw Davies