Known issues area on main wiki page

Segin segin2005 at
Tue Mar 21 01:56:57 CST 2006

Mike McCormack wrote:

> Segin wrote:
>> aRts in and of itself is a b/uggy ha/ck, KDE is droipping it in the
>> 4.0 release, Skype crashes if you use artsdsp with it and play sound,
>> arts is also known to just segfault for no reason whatsoever. Best
>> suggestion is to drop support for aRts entirely, it won't be around
>> much longer.
> aRts is not the only library giving trouble here. Here's one caused by
> Getting rid of aRts may cripple Wine on older systems, and it won't
> solve the problem.  We can't rely on all 3rd party sound libs to be
> bug free, especially since there's a lot of dodgy homebrew systems out
> there built by people who *think* they know what they're doing...
> Allowing users to use the Audio tab in WineCfg without forcing
> possibly buggy libraries to load is a better option.
> Mike
Well, can we at least put in warnings when aRts support is enabled in
winecfg (e.g. a popup that states that arts itself is buggy and it's use
is not recomended?)

Well, if we can't take support out, that there is a hell of a lot better
than doing absoutly nothing. at least people get a warning when they do
stupid stuff.