Easy applications to write automated tests for?

Molle Bestefich molle.bestefich at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 09:08:29 CST 2006

Dan Kegel wrote:
> Molle Bestefich wrote:
> > Dimi Paun wrote:
> > > Being able to run an emulation layer like msys/cygwin
> >
> > In my experience (couple of years worth of different Cygwin versions,
> > all relatively new stuff), the Cygwin kernel emulation stuff is
> > extremely unstable itself.
>
> unstable in the sense that it changes all the time, yes.

No.
Unstable in the sense that the core code is buggy.

> msys, on the other hand, is working off a frozen snapshot
> of cygwin from long ago, and never changes.
> So it's stable in at least that sense.  I have no idea
> how buggy it is.  It works well enough to run configure
> scripts on real windows, though.

Ok.  Cygwin does pretty well if you're using it as a single user / do
not use many processes/threads while pushing it CPU-wise.

I'll agree that hobby usage (running a couple of Unix apps) is the
most common use case for Cygwin, and it works well in that case.

Eg., Cygwin will be able to run a ./configure script just fine, too.

> > There are a couple of other Windows-->Unix emulation kits readily
> > available, so shouldn't be hard to find something that both runs
> > reliably and can make ./configure scripts work...
>
> Oh, really?   Got URLs?

MKS Toolkit
http://www.mkssoftware.com/

Windows Services for Unix