Alexandre Julliard : x11drv: Moved desktop mode handling to the explorer process.

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at
Mon Mar 27 18:44:43 CST 2006

Monday, March 27, 2006, 3:17:12 PM, Tom Spear (Dustin Booker, Dustin Navea) wrote:
> Tony Lambregts wrote:
>> Alexandre Julliard wrote:
>>> Module: wine
>>> Branch: refs/heads/master
>>> Commit: db6608ac9f9bbc2ddd7f8bf201d1387d079dfd5f
>>> Author: Alexandre Julliard <julliard at>
>>> Date:   Mon Mar 27 22:43:03 2006 +0200
>>> x11drv: Moved desktop mode handling to the explorer process.
>>> Per-application desktop mode settings are no longer supported.  Apps
>>> can be launched in a specific desktop window by using:
>>>   explorer /desktop=name[,widthxheight] app.exe [args]
>>> If the named desktop already exists the app is launched inside it. The
>>> default desktop is cleverly named "default".
>> So if I understand this correctly all programs will share the same
>> desktop. Is it also true that I cannot specify in winecfg that one
>> program can run full screen and another in a desktop window.
>> If this is the case we will have a fair amount of crying over this one.
>> At the very least we need to put a note in winecfg. (preferabley befor
>> next release).
>> --
>> Tony Lambregts
> Not in winecfg, but users can always modify their shortcuts to the
> application to run wine with the /desktop command like shown above.
> Doing it that way does conform to windows, so if users liked the old
> way, unfortunately, they are outta luck..

> Tom

Ok so now say with Steam and all of it's games - it will be almost 100%
unusable! Because we still haven't fixes managed/unmamaged windows. And
Steam itself would be on top of everything. So the way people were able
to work-around this is by putting Steam into virtual desktop. Now that
means their game will run in the same desktop as well.

We really really really have to fix managed/unmanaged mode then. I can't
even imagine how many people will stay with current or older Wine because
of this patch.

Also I remember some users were using other two parameters of the desktop
(top left corner - changing manually in the registry). I didn't seen
anything that indicates they are still supported with this patch.