Alexandre Julliard : x11drv: Moved desktop mode handling to the explorer process.

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Tue Mar 28 15:43:36 CST 2006

Hello,
> > > Per-application desktop mode settings are no longer supported.  Apps
> > > can be launched in a specific desktop window by using:
> > >
> > >   explorer /desktop=name[,widthxheight] app.exe [args]
I have serious problems with games with that patch. All DirectDraw games I've
tested(with the mainline ddraw code any my patches) because they fail to set
the display mode. I have a MergedFB setup with a resolution of 1400x2074, and
I disallow mode changes in my X config. With the old code, x11drv nicely
reported the standard displaymodes 640x480,800x600,... to DDraw / opengl /
d3d, and could resize the window to that resolutions. Now it only supports
1400x2074

I really think a Desktop setting should be possible in winecfg. It allows me
to configure some apps to use a virtual desktop and run them from the
terminal with wine foo.exe, without a long "wine explorer /desktop=blabla..."
line. Running games in a virtual Desktop is essential for d3d development.

I don't expect that the code will affect apps like Steam, even if Steam and
half-life are run in the same desktop window, because the problem only occurs
if Steam is run in managed mode because the window manager can't cope with
unmanaged windows. In a virtual Desktop, I expect it to work nice.

But the ability to have more apps in one Desktop is nice :)

Stefan