Why winetools is utterly useless, once and for all.

Karl Lattimer karl at nncc.info
Tue Mar 28 12:10:27 CST 2006

> Am Mo, Mär 27, 2006 at 09:32:29 -0500 schrieb Segin:
>> There is one reason, inarguable (if you reply to this you have a
>> IQ of
>> 0) as to why WineTools is useless: Most of the WineTools 'magic'
>> is in
>> it's ~/.wine/config file, which Wine no longer uses/acknoleges,
>> thefore,
>> WineTools is utterly useless and has no point in existing AT ALL,
>> PERIOD.

IMHO winetools has a still useful feature, and that is it allows
users to easily create an initial wine drive, configure and install
some applications and otherwise assist in new wine users to get to
grips with wine in an easy and I use this term loosely 'user
friendly' way.

The problem is that wine tools hasn't adhered to any usability guides
and doesn't provide a community orientated feedback, or use the
community to gain information about applications. The design of
winetools was created initially by frank of frankscorner but he isn't
a UI programmer, just an every day hacker. The fact that the whole
application is written in bash using Xdialog is a bad start, the code
scared me, 3000+ lines of bash.

I'm aiming to change this, I welcome any help especially in python.
The main aim of the project I am working on with a couple of new
found friends, is to improve accessibility of wine to new linux users
to help get people switch from windows to linux. This aim is shared
among the wine developers and users I believe.

And also, accusing people of having an IQ of 0 for replying to a
flame isn't in the slightest constructive, and I would rebut that you
are in fact the one of lower than average intellect as it requires a
certain type of stupidity to insult your peers in general terms.

K,

PS, a little about the projects I have worked on before, I wrote
gnome-settings-visualeffects a while back, and got too many flames
and crank emails too many eye candy enthusiasts asking dumb questions
so eventually i scrapped it. I also worked on the new freevo
webserver2 code which was displayed this year at CeBIT. I work on
human interfaces every day and I'm looking to bring some gnome HIG
zen to winetools, oh and a snappy new name... wine doors ;) (say it
quickly three times)