Alexandre Julliard : x11drv: Moved desktop mode handling to the explorer process.

Willie Sippel willie at zeitgeistmedia.net
Wed Mar 29 07:46:53 CST 2006

Am Mittwoch, 29. März 2006 15:14 schrieb Marcus Meissner:
> On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 02:47:06PM +0200, Willie Sippel wrote:
>
> > > Isn't it just better to start with a patch that is "right", but will
> > > still show regressions, then fix those regressions, as opposed to
> > > starting with a patch that is wrong, and then hacking on it forever
> > > trying to solve the unsolvable problems that causes?
> >
> > You are right, of course. I'm all for doing stuff right, and I'm not a
> > friend of quick-and-dirty hacks myself. I simply can't understand why
> > most serious regressions introduced in the last two years are seemingly
> > not worked on at all - they simply seem to get ignored. I'm sorry if my
> > mail sounded like a
>
> Simple.
>
> No one is paying to get it fixed ;) (And it requires a lot of effort
> for Joe Random Coder.)
>
> Thats just OpenSource for you.

O RLY? ;-D

I know how that stuff works, I'm part of a few projects myself. Still, I'm the
'I broke it, I'll fix it' kinda guy, but I know it's wrong to expect everyone
to be the same. Especially in the case of Wine, as I'm sure the fixes that
introduced the regression did more good than harm, in general.

However, I ranted enough I think. Back to the real problem. AFAIU, there's
only a single common/ feasible/ intelligent way to create borderless windows
on X11 - managed windows with 'no decoration' Motif hints (the way GTK
handles borderless windows). The example I found looks easy enough, only a
few lines of code, but I was once again reminded that Wine really is way over
my head - I have no idea how to hack that in to at least test it... :-(

--
Willie Sippel

  ////////  |  Tritium Studios
//// ///    |  http://www.tritium-studios.com