Direct3D, the kernel and ReactOS

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Thu Mar 30 07:29:03 CST 2006

On Thursday 30 March 2006 06:51, Christoph Frick wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 11:12:06PM +0200, Stefan Dösinger wrote:
> > My long term suggestion is to move the Direct3D->OpenGL translation
> > code from WineD3D to gdi and a win32k sys, and write ddraw.dll,
> > d3d8.dll and d3d9.dll to use that interface. The user mode dlls can be
> > shared with Reactos, and from a technical point of view, even
> > Microsoft's DirectX dlls can be used on Wine(including the hardware
> > emulation layer).
>
> first of all excuse my ignorance of the d3d interface and so on - but
> this sounds to me like wine should not deal with the userland dlls at
> all then? once all the hardware is handled in the kernel parts what is
> the gain in having our own implementations? installing dx with the games
> should be sufficient then?

Technically sufficient, maybe, but it might be actually illegal to install
Direct X on anything non-windows. Of course the blame is shifted to the user,
but if one thinks about corporate wine deployments, they wouldn't want to do
illegal things. They might as well deploy pirated Windows, you know. And mind
you, Direct X is not for games only. I bet there are non-gaming 3D
applications that use it. CAD systems come to mind. I think that for example
Solid Edge uses Direct X (no, didn't try to get it running under wine yet).

Cheers, Kuba