Keyboard Rewrite

Segin segin2005 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 15:36:02 CST 2006

Tom Spear wrote:

> Hi all, this is a call for volunteers.  I am hoping that certain
> developers participating in another thread are willing to rewrite the
> keyboard code, but we need people to test.  If you are interested,
> please reply here saying that you are interested, and what kind of
> keyboard you use, as well as the layout you use under X.  I will be
> creating a wiki page for this project once the people who will be
> taking on this rewrite confirm that they will do so, and will post the
> link to this thread as soon as it is created.
>
> The purpose of this rewrite is to (hopefully) fix all of the problems
> people have with key mappings, characters not showing up as expected,
> race conditions, characters not showing up at all, etc, and hopefully
> allow us to close out many of the bugs in bugzilla having to do with
> the keyboard.
>
> Thanks all in advance
>
> Tom

Sure, I'll help. Let me go fetch my X settings... (opens nedit on
/etc/X11/xorg.conf....)

I don't know what this qualifies as, but it's 'hp5181' (my keyboard is a
HP5181), The keyboard rules appear to be pc104 with extra code for
extended keys, XF86Audio[InsetKeyHere], example, XF86AudioPlay (or
whatever the name for it is, i know that XF86Audio part is right)

My X config for the keyboard subject:

Section "InputDevice"

# miles of xorgcfg comments stripped for breverty, never removed them
# ...
    Identifier     "Keyboard1"
    Driver         "kbd"
    Option         "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
    Option         "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option         "XkbModel" "hp5181"
    Option         "XkbLayout" "en_US"
EndSection