will the real winedbg experts please stand up / please stand up

Molle Bestefich molle.bestefich at gmail.com
Wed May 3 20:51:43 CDT 2006

Oi

Trying to attach a debugger to an application crashing in X11DRV.

Enabled the synchronous trace, and the debugger does start, but it's
output doesn't show up on the console.  It accepts commands such as c
for continue, but it's useless if I want a backtrace, for example.
Which I do :-).

Here's the output that it generates:
===========================
err:x11drv:error_handler X protocol error: serial=23409562,
request_code=53 - breaking into debugger
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x7f2c5e20
"x11drv_main.c: X11DRV_CritSection" wait timed out in thread 000a,
blocked by 0009, retrying (60 sec)
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x7f2c5e20
"x11drv_main.c: X11DRV_CritSection" wait timed out in thread 0011,
blocked by 0009, retrying (60 sec)

I had expected that winedbg start printing something after "breaking
into debugger" but before "X11DRV_CritSection wait timed out".

I'm going to spend a lot of time fiddling with it now, I'd just like
to ask if anyone has a ready explanation (while my story is still
short enough to be readable in 5 mins)..  Anyone?

If someone can enlighten me, I'd also like to know why a timeout
occurs while in the debugger.  I had expected debugging to completely
suspend the process being debugged?