Who is responsible to start up a Wineconsole

Robert Shearman rob at codeweavers.com
Mon May 8 09:58:47 CDT 2006

Andreas Mohr wrote:

>Hi,
>
>On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 02:27:53PM +0200, Uwe Bonnes wrote:
>

>>Hallo,
>>
>>on XP, Program->Execute->(../system32/)telnet.exe starts up a Console.
>>"wine telnet.exe" on the command line however silently terminates, as the
>>call to GetConsoleScreenBufferInfo returns an empty
>>LPCONSOLE_SCREEN_BUFFER_INFO structure.
>>
>>Shouldn't wine start up some wineconsole in that circumstances as XP does?
>>

>Most likely telnet.exe has some console app PE header flag set (as opposed to
>Win32 GUI app flag).
>
>Probably the Wine loader needs to actually handle this flag and launch
>wineconsole in this case if it's not already started within a console.

The trouble is that it is already started within a console, it's just
that the console isn't compatible. Most people prefer their console apps
to start inside the Unix console, since that is what they expect from
them. I'm afraid it's a matter of starting the program with wineconsole
manually if you want the extra compatibility.

--
Rob Shearman