Cursor questions

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Fri May 12 09:06:26 CDT 2006

On Thursday 11 May 2006 15:53, Mike Hearn wrote:
> On Tue, 09 May 2006 13:49:53 +0200, Stefan Dösinger wrote:
> > I noticed that wine always uses it's own mouse cursor image looking like
> > the standard windows cursor. Is there a reason why the X server mouse
> > cursor isn't used?
>
> Doubtful ... I imagine the reason is that apps rely on the Win32 cursor
> API doing what they expect, and making Wine lie about certain cursors
> would be a bit awkward. Why not see if it can be easily implemented?

Lying is one thing, another thing is that there might be some apps that
actually read the cursor, modify the bitmap and use that modified bitmap for
a new cursor. In that case we'd better make sure that we actually give the
app the real image.

Color X11 cursors shouldn't be a big deal since even in win95 you had color
cursors, albeit with one bit alpha if memory serves me right.

So methinks as long as the app can retrieve a real in-use cursor bitmap,
that'd be good enough. Then Wine would just need to use these X default
cursors as its own defaults, rather then the stock defaults that come with
Wine.

Does Wine support color cursors at all on the API side? As that might be a
thing to support first, before we start talking about color X cursors.

Cheers, Kuba