World of Warcraft (WoW) patch/more address space layout stuff

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Mon May 29 18:16:27 CDT 2006

On Mon, 22 May 2006 19:18:07 +0100, Nick Law wrote:
> Below is an email regarding this partiicular problem, I would be
> grateful for any comments that I can pass back to Jan Riewe. Thanks

Hi Nick,

This has been discussed previously. It looks likely that to fix this so
WoW works out of the box requires extensive and intricate changes to the
core of either Wine or the kernel to provide a more accurate match to the
NT memory layout model.

I rate the chances of this happening anytime soon as being low. It's not
that people don't care, it's more that there are no developers with the
time/motivation/skill hanging around who want to work on it, it seems.

It'd be better to get the bug in WoW fixed, whatever that is. I do not
know how you might contact Blizzard.

Alternatively there could be (should be!) pre-built versions of Wine that
run for all users customized for WoW specifically.

thanks -mike