Set up wine-macosx? (Re: How are we doing?)

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Tue May 30 09:29:33 CDT 2006

On Mon, 29 May 2006 23:47:26 -0700, Jim White wrote:
> But I do know I set up Darwine because of the antagonistic
> and dismissive tone here when I tried to discuss Darwin & Mac OS X
> development ideas.

I have yet to see anybody give Emmanuel and the other Darwine developers
anything but respect. The "dismissive tone" you received are because you
are not a developer and like most open source projects, Wine has a simple
currency -> those who do the work get the respect.

Tell people they should work on a port to a platform they don't use and
you'll be told to do the work yourself. Dismissive? Maybe. Unexpected? I'd
hope not.

> Darwine is a "private community"?  "Second-class citizen in the Wine
> world"?  Uh, yeah.  I'm really feeling the love here.

You've misinterpreted a statement of fact as some kind of insult. Work
that doesn't take place on wine-devel is invisible to most Wine
developers, it's as simple as that.

> Oh, wait.  The award *did* get mentioned in Wine Weekly issue #311.
> Hmmm, except that not only is Darwine not in the subject line, it isn't
>  mentioned at all.  There is some whining that Wine didn't win though.
> Thanks guys.

Look, there are various reasons why some developers - and it seems maybe
Marcus is in that group - are uncertain as to whether a Mac port is a good
thing. This has been explained to you before. So why do you act shocked
when an individual is "unsure whether to be happy or sad" over the news?

> Lest you think I'm complaining here, I'm not.

You clearly are complaining, there's no other way to describe it.

-mike