wine problems on a 64bit system

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Wed May 31 04:21:54 CDT 2006

Hi Pavel,
I've only slightly followed wine-devel recently

On 5/31/06, Pavel Troller <patrol at sinus.cz> wrote:
>   As some of you know, I'm experimenting with my new 64bit systems. I've found
> that there are problems running a lot of applications, which normally run on
> a 32bit system.
>   A typical example is IL2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles game. On a 32bit system,
> with the latest wine CVS (even compiled on a 64bit system) it runs flawlessly.
> On a 64bit system, it just prints
> fixme:seh:check_no_exec No exec fault triggered at 0x6d4d08b0, enabling work-around
> but the workaround seems to be unefficient, because nothing more happens.
> With a +relay, it shows that the program is looping, executing
> 0009:Call msvcrt._except_handler3(7fb2faa0,7fb2fba0,7fb2f7d4,7fb2f714) ret=7bc54d65
> 0009:Ret  msvcrt._except_handler3() retval=00000000 ret=7bc54d65
> and nothing more, ad infinitum.
>   The machines are running very similar kernels. Both are hardened with
> exec-shield, but even disabling it on a 64bit by
> 'echo 0 >/proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield' doesn't help. The 32bit works even with
> exec-shield enabled (and doesn't print the no-exec message).
>   Are there chances to fix this issue ? Or is it a system problem ?

Are you using a stock Fedora kernel? They are all (x86-64) built with
SMP support. Would it be possible to check with a custom built non-smp
kernel to see if you have the same behavior? I've been looking in to
this matter myself but its been slow going because I lack a 64bit
system here. Can you run a strace on a winelib process and send us the
results with both the SMP and non-smp kernels?

Thanks
--
Steven Edwards