Executing wine over make segfaults.

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Mon Nov 6 18:51:27 CST 2006

> I am using a 2.6.18 based openSUSE 10.2 Beta1 kernel and Wine works fine
> there. (AMD64 however).

	Your NoExec protection is on or off?

	And question to all: is there someone with new (2.6.18.x) vanilla kernel
(downloaded from kernel.org), noexec=on and perfectly working Wine? If yes,
then please send me your .config, tell your gcc versions - I will try to
figure out why problems happens to Wine with new kernels then.
	If I don't recieve answer I will assume that everyone with 2.6.18.x kernel
(or higher) andNoExec protection cannot use Wine. This is speculative of
course and not neccessary true but I need to have "starting point".
Theoretically everyone with NoExec turned on (this is default) with 2.6.18.x
kernel will end up with not working Wine. But situation may vary with
compiler version. If so this is important to know so if someone have 2.6.18.x
vanilla kernel with NoExec protection turned on (default) and working Wine
please reply.

	Also I wish to say that this bug isn't just security problem "add-noexec=off
option-and-here-you-go!". Most users (especcialy who didn't tried Wine
before) with new kernels will think that there is no solution (they will
think that application simply doesn't work under Wine) - so most applications
will not work for them including virtually all games (at least all my games
that work perfectly with 2.6.16.18 crashes with 2.6.18.1). Very few programs
will work (for example: notepad, proxomitron, mdict) but most will fail (for
example: Unreal Tournament, Postal 2, XnView, IrfanView and many, many
others). This is very bad and I think this is major compatibility problem.