mscoree: Graphical notice

Segin segin2005 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 16:15:56 CST 2006

Is it a wise idea to add a graphical warning to mscoree that Wine
doesn't support running .NET applications directly yet? I was thinking
about using a MessageBox() to deliver the warning. I also wanted the
popup to be displayed conditionally, in which if Wine was started from
the commandline, the box isn't displayed at all. Since most DEs spawn
programs that, although their output reaches the tty that 'startx' was
called from, they aren't attached to that tty. Evidence this by starting
"tty" from within KDE or GNOME, then switch to the virtual console that
you started your X session from. You should note a line near the bottom
that says "not a tty". From a program's perspective, you can check for
this by calling isatty(1) (file descriptor 1 is usually standard output,
and I belive that POSIX mandates this behaviour) and checking if the
return value is one (or not, in which display the GUI warning). Is using
OS-level file descriptors in conjunction with functions such as isatty()
safe programming practice with Wine? I wasn't to sure, and wanted to know.
--
The real problem with C++ for kernel modules is: the language just sucks.
	-- Linus Torvalds