wineshelllink: Use FreeDesktop standard to create Wine menu structure.

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Sat Nov 25 10:50:28 CST 2006

Dan Kegel wrote:
> Vitaly wrote:
>> [xdg-utils] can not handle files with spaces in them.
>
> If that's true, it's a bug, and should be fixed.
Yes it have to be fixed.

>> Also they don't allow installing icons without specifying size.
>
> ? http://portland.freedesktop.org/xdg-utils-1.0/xdg-desktop-icon.html
> doesn't seem to talk about sizes at all.
Read closer. You have to specify the size of the icon for it to install
it properly. However that doesn't work at all in this case. We do not
know what the icon's size is, we do not want to limit user to one
particular theme they use. I guess just using full path to an icon and
getting rid of this script should work even better.

>> [We can't just check the scripts into the wine source tree
>>  and require their installation.]
>
> Why not?  If they save effort and work well, let's do it.
I ultimately don't care what scripts we use. It's been broken for number
of years now generating Wine menu entries for all WMs but KDE. Whatever
it takes to get it fixed. Users should not use command line interface to
 get to the directory and start something that they don't even know
correct command line options. There are lots of programs that are not a
simple executable. And will be impossible for anyone to launch without
looking at .link file for required command line options.

So in the end this is Alexandre's call. All I can do is present my
solution. And let him decide how he wants to fix this major show-stopper.

Vitaliy.