Call to all packagers (especially Debian)

Pierre d'Herbemont pdherbemont at free.fr
Sun Nov 26 12:17:15 CST 2006

On 26 nov. 06, at 03:36, Vitaliy Margolen wrote:

> And of course, if any alterations has been made, state so in the
> distro
> specific readme file.

I think that to have a better view of those alterations the packaging
utilities (package spec files and other supporting tools) should be
opensource-ed. It would be great to have a repository which contains
everything needed to build the official Wine packages for each
distribution.

That would allow have a better transparency on how the maintainers
make their packages. Also it means probably a better level of
flexibility given that any one could customize its package, and build
it with on top of whatever wine version one likes. The package
release latency after a Wine release may diminish too.

A first step would be to have each maintainer putting in the wiki
their howto build the Debian/Ubuntu/... package from scratch. I have
in mind what has been done for the Mac OS X package [1].

A second step would be to move spec files, scripts and such to a cvs
or git repository like what is in place for the winehq website and
documentation.

Tell me what you think,

Pierre.

[1] http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX/Building