make check_no_exec() work reliable

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Thu Nov 30 13:20:30 CST 2006

Peter Beutner <p.beutner at gmx.net> writes:

> Why should this exception be visible to the application?
> Plus if you make it visible, you can just forget this whole workaround idea,
> because it won't work reliable anyways.

Well, yes, the workaround is really a hack that should be replaced by
a proper fix; I was hoping it would encourage someone to look into it
and fix it properly, I can't do it because my box doesn't have noexec
support.

> Certainly some more testing on windows is needed, but this
> check_no_exec() workaround was regardless introduced a long time ago.
> This patch just fixes this workaround.
> Otherwise it could as well be removed at all.

Well, yes, it could certainly be removed; I added it mostly to make
sure that we generated the exception properly, and to demonstrate how
the exception can be handled. The proper fix is clearly more complex
than that, but moving that hack into the exception code isn't a step
in the right direction IMO.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org