Copy protection

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Sun Oct 1 21:49:08 CDT 2006

EA Durbin wrote:
>> So the short story is that copy protection support is the
>> gating issue here, and it's a serious PITA.
>>

> What specifically  keeps most copy protection from working with wine?
> Why does it work in some applications, such as Star Wars Jedi Academy
> and not others?

There are several types of copy protection. Those that use kernel
drivers do not work on Wine because ... Wine has no kernel to load those
drivers into. We will need at least ntoskrnl.exe implemented because
it's more of a "dll" then exe and all drivers import number of functions
from it.

Of course we can only emulate "kernel" to some point. But even that
would be enough for drivers that only check for debugger presence and
nothing else.

Vitaliy