Mem usage in Mac OSX

Stefan Dösinger stefan at codeweavers.com
Mon Oct 2 05:43:30 CDT 2006

Am Sonntag 01 Oktober 2006 13:30 schrieb Nick Burns:
> Im seeing some very odd behaviour in Mac OSX using wine -- and wondered if
> anyone could enlighten me
>
> When I run any application  -- I see it start with ~4GB of VM then
> depending on the app -- it goes upwards of 5.7GB in VM usage (>4GB?) in
> Activity Monitor (usually because of texture loading or other context
> it starts loading textures into OGL/D3D(->OGL))
> Usually when it gets this high -- bad things happen -- basically mallocs
> start to fail, and the app crashes.
I can confirm the crashes and the vm oddness, but I haven't tracked them down
as much as you did. I have seen Half-Life 2 crashing with shaders
enabled(dxlevel 80 and 70), as well as Half-Life 1 with the OpenGL renderer.
HL1 takes some time, approximately 1 hour.

Even the simplest D3D apps seem to use a vm size of > 4GB, even the small D3D
SDK demos. The sdk examples seem to run stable and as fine as on Linux.
(http://stud4.tuwien.ac.at/~e0526822/dx8demos-mac.png for a bunch of
screenshots. That was CrossOver Mac actually, but shouldn't make any
difference)

My first suspicion was a memory leak in the OpenGL libraries, but I haven't
done any further investigation to back that up. All the apps that crash on
MacOS seem to run fine on Linux. My brother played Half-Life 2 for 6 hours in
one go without issues on my Linux machine.