Copy protection

James Courtier-Dutton James at superbug.co.uk
Mon Oct 2 11:18:57 CDT 2006

Martin Owens wrote:
>> Re Copy Protection.
>>
>> be quite hard to make this work I think?
>
> It would be quite dangerous to make this work.
>
> What about creating a file say with a fake data map, wine thinks it's
> the direct access to the hard drive where all this information is
> held. all we do is add the place where the data starts and the data
> thats stored. it would be slower but it would get around the dangers
> while keeping the interface the same.

The easiest way round this is to simply recognise the executable with
the copy protection, and simply install a hook to catch the appropriate
file system or registry calls and divert them to a special handling
routine to satisfy the application. The difficulty would come from
actually implementing the "copy protection" part. I.e. Preventing the
wine user from copying the software.

James