Copy protection

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 04:29:24 CDT 2006

On 10/5/06, Christoph Frick <frick at sc-networks.de> wrote:
> the #2 folks are proficient enough with their systems to know what they
> are doing. the #1 folks hope to get away from the world of #2 things
> they are forced on the windows world when they change to unix.

Not nescessarily.  I'm thinking specifically of some of the more
exotic forensic data-recovery software.  Think Joe User (Joe Friday?)
prefers to use *nix, however, the software he uses to simplify
gathering all the various data he needs for an investigation (could be
law-related, could be an intrusion, etc.) runs only on Windows.  It'd
be nice to grab an image of the drive with dd and work with it on his
Linux machine.

Just a note...  this might be possible today...  I believe setting up
raw disk access for an actual disk or a file is possible under Wine
currently...  It would be nice to handle this case in a somewhat more
regular-person-friendly way - and it's logical to include handling of
sandboxed raw disk access in the same way.

--tim