Mem usage in Mac OSX

Stefan Dösinger stefan at codeweavers.com
Thu Oct 5 04:42:24 CDT 2006

Am Dienstag 03 Oktober 2006 11:36 schrieb Alexandre Julliard:
> Robert Shearman <rob at codeweavers.com> writes:
> > Nick Burns wrote:
> >> Does Linux have the same mem problem? -- does top show like 4GB of
> >> VSIZE on app start?
> >
> > The numbers seem bogus since 32-bit apps can only take up 4Gb of
> > VM. Wine does reserve 1.5Gb of VM on startup to ensure no system
> > libraries are present in the area needed for Win32 apps and libraries.
>
> Actually Wine also reserves the high memory addresses, so the total is
> more like 3.5Gb. The real question is why do the Apple libraries need
> to allocate another 500Mb or so after startup.
I am not an expert on VMs, but I can imagine that the OpenGL client libraries
need some areas to get access to the GPU memory and some memory to store
textues. GPUs have 256 MB vidmem nowadays, and maybe the driver holds a
shadow copy of some or all textures in system memory(like wined3d does in
special cases).