WineD3D State management - going live(TM)

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Thu Oct 19 06:19:52 CDT 2006

> Not sure about the _utils part there, since it's pretty much core
> functionality, but fair enough.
well, we can use other names too :-) opengl_state.c, opengl_AllOtherStuff.c

> > vertex type) will share the same list. The index of the changed state
> > will identify the type of the state, e.g.
> >
> > #define renderstate_entry(a) (a + 0)
> > #define samplerstate_entry(a) (a + 1000) /* or
> > renderstate_entry(max_render_state)
> > #define texturestate_entry(a) (a + 2000)
> > and so on
> >
> > This will allow us to group different states, e.g. D3DRS_LIGHTINGENABLE
> > with the vertex type.
>
> Can't you do that without putting everything in a single list?
Basically yes, but is there a problem with a single list? I think it makes the
code simpler to have a single list.

> > As many d3d states affect the same opengl state(e.g. D3DRS_FOGVERTEXMODE,
> > D3DRS_FOGTABLEMODE, D3DRS_FOGSTART, D3DRS_FOGEND), the states can be
> > grouped together for efficient application. This also works accross
> > different types.
>
> I think typically that only goes for states from the same type, ie
> different render states that affect the same GL state or different
> texture stages that affect the same GL state, but not so much across
> state types. ie, it should be fairly uncommon for a render state to
> affect the same state as a texture stage state.
Yes for texture state and render state(*), but for example the vertex type
affects lighting and fog, which is also affected by render states.

(*) In earlier versions texture stage states used to be render
states(D3DRENDERSTATE_MINFILTER, D3DRENDERSTATE_MAGFILTER,
D3DRENDERSTATE_TEXTUREMAPBLEND, ...). But those states are forwarded to
texture stage states / sampler states in ddraw, so we don't see them in
wined3d.

> > States will be applied in drawprim. BltOverride and UnlockRect change
> > states on their own, and they can put the states the change onto the
> > dirty list so drawprim will reset them to what the application wants.
> > This avoids gratious setting and resetting. An extra last_was_blt field
> > could be used to avoid that bltoverride sets its own states again and
> > again.
>
> Display lists could possibly help there as well, and might be easier /
> faster than integrating those functions into the state management. You
> would have to benchmark that to be sure though.
My idea is to write the state applying code to be able to record setting a
number of states into a display list, for easier use in stateblocks. When
creating a stateblock we could do that

glRecordList(stateblockImpl->glList); /* or whatever the function is called */
for(i = 0; i < all_known_states; i++) set_state(i)
glEndList(stateblockImpl->glList);

StateBlock::Apply can use the list to set the states
glCallList(This->list);
clear_dirty_state_list();

> I assume you won't be changing everything over in one go, so perhaps
> it would be best to start with the texture stage states, since those
> are currently reapplied every drawprim call, and should be pretty easy
> to group.
Yup. Although I will start with render states, because breaking up the texture
stage state + sampler state + active texture compound will be a bit tricky.

> One concern I've got about lumping all the state changes together
> right before the drawprim call is that we might lose some CPU/GPU
> parallelism. I guess we won't be able to see how that affects things
> until it's pretty much done either, but it's probably a good idea to
> run some proper benchmarks before sending any patches in. (It might
> actually be a good idea to do that in general).
Ack.

Although I think regarding parallelism it can't be worse than it is at the
moment :-)