When to use SUBLANG_NEUTRAL

Frank Richter frank.richter at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 02:49:28 CDT 2006

On 23.10.2006 02:50, Kai Blin wrote:
> On Saturday 21 October 2006 01:18, Mikołaj Zalewski wrote:
>>   As I wrote I've found that there is a mess in wine with the usage of
>> SUBLANG_NEUTRAL and SUBLANG_DEFAULT. I tried to understand when to use
>> which and wrote a wiki page about it:
>> http://wiki.winehq.org/SublangNeutral .
>>   It contains some generic information about it but I thought that it
>> would be best to have also a list of languages for each case. I've took
>> the wine languages list and sorted the obvious cases.
>
> Actually there's now some differences for the German and Austrian sublang
> spellings of some words. I'm not sure how windows handles the new spelling
> rules used in Germany now, though.

Judging from the wiki page, a German/Default resource would not be
considered when looking e.g. for a German/Austria resource. Hence I'd
use German/Neutral for most resources and add a specific resource like
German/Austria or German/Swiss when there would be relevant differences
in spelling or such. (A bit like English/US and English/UK, tho
English/US is nevertheless special since it's a hardcoded fallback.)

-f.r.