WineD3D State management - going live(TM)

H. Verbeet hverbeet at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 03:34:36 CDT 2006

On 23/10/06, Ivan Gyurdiev <ivg231 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Uhh, shader constants, must have forgotten them :-( . Well, Henri and I
> > silently agreed to leave them as they are right now.
> I don't like how the number of things staying "as they are right now" is
> growing, while the number of things being changed remains confined to
> render states. To have a proof-of-concept state management system, it
> would be best to take things that are as different as possible, and
> manage to get them successfully updated via the new state manager.
> Otherwise you won't find out whether the design is flawed or not until
> much later.

Well, yes. Shader constants might not be the best example for that
(the "as different as possible" part, that is) though, for reasons
mentioned in my mail above. Shader constants do illustrate my point
about not putting everything in the same list though, possibly better
than samplers do. The number of supported uniforms varies quite a bit
between cards, more so than the 128 samplers for d3d10 mentioned
further up above.