my dsound/winealsa hacks

Tomas Carnecky tom at dbservice.com
Fri Sep 22 18:38:13 CDT 2006

James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> I have place some documentation on the ALSA wiki site:
> https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=ALSAresampler
>
> It tries to explain the constraints that the current ALSA resampler
> works under.
>
> You might like to read it as I think it will have impact on your plans.

Thanks. One question though, if the app in in blocking mode and requests
the said two periods, will alsa wait until the hardware has processed
three 48000Hz-periods and then copy the two 44100Hz-periods to the
application (because: 3 periods at 48000Hz > 2*1024 frames at 44100Hz)?

DirectSound doesn't know anything about periods, the windows application
operates on bytes rather than frames or periods. So whether I'd have to
wait for two or three periods wouldn't matter. The important thing is
that I get X bytes in the right format to pass that back to the application.

tom