RFC - winecfg audio test

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 15:07:53 CDT 2007

Hi,

Well it more of a request for adoption than an RFC.....

If someone else wants to pick this up feel free. I am kind of blocked
on time. Over the course of the past year the discussion about need
for an audio test has come up from time to time. Using a WAV file with
PlaySound is too massive due to using embedded resources so next we
looked at using an embedded mp3 and the wineacm codec. This would be
interesting because then we could have something like the sound of a
wine bottle being popped or wine being poured but Alexandre said he
would rather have a simple test so I elected to rip Francois winmm
audio test as a base.

As for where to take it from here I am kind of at a loss. The more and
more I think about it there could be even better ways to test audio by
using DirectSound to generate a set of tones if thats even possible.
It would be cool if it was because then we could do a series of tests
like a short tone testing WinMM then another short tone testing
DirectSound. This might help users that have choppy sound or missing
sound in games but not in other apps. Also how to handle the case
where it does not work is rather interesting as right now my little
messagebox does nothing, but if we implement the help system Jacek
suggested we could provide information on how to debug sound problems
linked from the dialog. Last but not least this sound is kind of
boring so someone else that understands this code better can add some
sort of modulation to the tone to make it more appeling. If it was
writting in Qbasic I could have pulled it off but as it stands this is
the best your going to get from me. I learned a good bit over the 8 or
10 hours it took me to strip it down so its not a total loss even if
its rejected.

If no one else wants to work on this and Alexandre does not hate it
then I will submit to wine-patches on Monday sans DEBUGING enabled in
a proper git diff.

Peace
--
Steven Edwards