Is Wine a platform for Codeweaver to make money?! Please help me understand.

Kai Blin kai.blin at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 18:41:40 CDT 2007

On Saturday 07 April 2007 23:52, Tony Lambregts wrote:
> Scott Ritchie wrote:
> > Yes.  Wine's development speed has roughly correlated with its user
> > base; popularity brings more bug reports, volunteers, and funding for
> > paid work.

[...]

> I whole heartedly agree. If it were not for "dirty little hacks" Crossover
> Linux would not run some of the very programs that make it so popular.
> Popularity with users is the driving force for developers. Developers go
> where the users are and I know there are enough bug reports in bugzilla to
> keep all the developers we can handle busy. I am not saying that we should
> put in just any old hack but there are cases where we really miss the boat
> because we want to get things "right".

What boat? I'm not selling a product. I don't need to meet any deadline.
Unless Google pays me, I do my Wine development in my spare time. I've spent
my last two years working on a feature that about a handful apps out there
will use. There is one bug report in bugzilla for my stuff, and that's
actually invalid. If I spent my time waiting for users to get interested in
this area, Wine still wouldn't do NTLM.

[Some talk about a msvcrt bug]

> Yes, we would not get that particular bug report but we may have lost many
> more users because of the same problem. If we want to have the best of both
> worlds we could have a message box pop up saying that wine found a program
> supplied DLL and if you use it, you could be covering up a bug in our
> implementation of that DLL and let the user decide. Some users will try out
> our built in and make a bug report and that bug report will be easier to
> deal with that trying to track down which DLL overrides might work.

Most users will figure out that clicking "use the override" will make less
problems than the other button. I'm not sure that'll lead to easier bug
reports.

Cheers,
Kai

--
Kai Blin, <kai Dot blin At gmail Dot com>
WorldForge developer    http://www.worldforge.org/