Is Wine a platform for Codeweaver to make money?! Please help me understand.

Tony Lambregts tony.lambregts at
Sun Apr 8 15:52:22 CDT 2007

Kai Blin wrote:
> Granted. I've been doing that when I had some spare time. Working on winsock
> bugs, I can tell that about one in ten bug reports is detailed enough (after
> requesting more information) to actually nail down a bug. For the nine other
> bug reports, you can spend a lot of time searching the bug, so yes, enough to
> keep you busy.

We agree that Lousy bug reports are abundant
>>> Most users will figure out that clicking "use the override" will make
>>> less problems than the other button. I'm not sure that'll lead to easier
>>> bug reports.
> [...]
>> In fact this can lead to the situation where the user gets into the habit
>> of always copying in as many native DLLs as he can and always overriding to
>> native which is why we hate WineTools.
> And how exactly is automatically using native dlls if found in the
> application's directory going to help? Won't people get into the habit of
> putting as many native dlls as possible into the application's working
> directory as well?

I doubt that, if they were to do that they are still more likely to go
the route of putting them in the system directory and doing a global
override because its easier.
> I agree we probably won't loose much, but I'm not sure what we're going to
> win, apart from easier dll overrides.
1. Fewer lousy bug reports because when the bug is reported it will be
more concise.

2. More applications working out of the box.

Tony Lambregts