Is Wine a platform for Codeweaver to make money?! Please help me understand.

Tony Lambregts tony.lambregts at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 15:52:22 CDT 2007

Kai Blin wrote:
> Granted. I've been doing that when I had some spare time. Working on winsock
> bugs, I can tell that about one in ten bug reports is detailed enough (after
> requesting more information) to actually nail down a bug. For the nine other
> bug reports, you can spend a lot of time searching the bug, so yes, enough to
> keep you busy.

We agree that Lousy bug reports are abundant

>>> Most users will figure out that clicking "use the override" will make
>>> less problems than the other button. I'm not sure that'll lead to easier
>>> bug reports.
>>>

> [...]
>

>> In fact this can lead to the situation where the user gets into the habit
>> of always copying in as many native DLLs as he can and always overriding to
>> native which is why we hate WineTools.
>>

> And how exactly is automatically using native dlls if found in the
> application's directory going to help? Won't people get into the habit of
> putting as many native dlls as possible into the application's working
> directory as well?

I doubt that, if they were to do that they are still more likely to go
the route of putting them in the system directory and doing a global
override because its easier.
> I agree we probably won't loose much, but I'm not sure what we're going to
> win, apart from easier dll overrides.

1. Fewer lousy bug reports because when the bug is reported it will be
more concise.

2. More applications working out of the box.

--

Tony Lambregts