Questions about using native vs implementing our own

Dan Kegel dank at
Wed Apr 11 15:25:55 CDT 2007

Alexander Sørnes wrote:
>> > No, if native dlls are required then it's very helpful for users to know
>> > which ones, and it's even better if you provide download links to these
>> > dlls, by using sites such as or,
>> > or uploading your own somewhere.
>> Helpful and better yes, but legal?
>I think so, because you are only linking to another webpage, and it is that
>webpage's responsibility to make sure the contents are legal.

I disagree.  The Wine project has to avoid even the appearance of impropriety.

I would discourage linking to any questionable download
sites for Microsoft files. and seem
like bad places
to link, as they are clearly not obeying Microsoft's EULA.

Examples of ok sites include,, and

It's probably best to only link to download sites in the US/UK/EU area,
too, as an extra precaution.
- Dan