Why are some fonts being displayed incorrectly

Bill Medland billmedland at shaw.ca
Tue Apr 17 14:28:34 CDT 2007

Can anyone point me in the correct direction for this?

On one machine the text displays correctly.
On the other the characters are totally wrong
If I install the arial32.exe then the characters are displayed correctly
and attractively
If I remove the sserife.fon (and the arial fonts) then the characters
are displayed correctly but unattractively, something like a courier
font or similar.

Both machines are using freetype-2.1.9-5
The first also includes freetype-devel but presumably that doesn't

How do I figure out why the characters are being drawn incorrectly?

(Installing the arial32 is not a long-term solution)