wine 0.9.30-35 Something strange happened with the fonts ?

Nick Law nlaw at nildram.co.uk
Tue Apr 17 16:08:36 CDT 2007

Huw Davies wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 01:03:03AM +0100, Nick Law wrote:
>
>> Nick Law wrote:
>>
>>> Well, I don't quite know what happened there with the fonts, however
>>> my fonts are now back working by deleting the contents of the fonts
>>> folder c:\windows\fonts\ and simply copying in verdana.ttf +
>>> bold+italics etc into this folder.
>>>
>>> The reason I had to copy verdana was because the application 'anno
>>> domini' copies a font called broadway into  \windows\fonts\  then
>>> another  application  'Virtual Mechanics Webengine' then uses the
>>> broadway font for it's license dialogue box, presumably because that's
>>> the only font present in c:\windows\fonts\ unless verdana is in
>>> /windows/font/ directory then it uses that which looks an awful lot
>>> more legible than the broadway font.
>>>
>>> So it seems to be working now, however I have a question.
>>>
>>> When you run notepad.exe and look at the fonts available, with an
>>> empty windows\fonts\ directory notepad lists about 51 fonts, all of
>>> which are truetype except 1. So why are these fonts not in
>>> \windows\fonts\ where applications such as webengine can find them ?
>>>
>>> And how does fontforge figure in this equation, I assume it generates
>>> the 51 fonts & then wine passes those fonts in some way. However won't
>>> that cause a problem for applications that expect to find fonts
>>> present in \windows\fonts ?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Nick
>>>

>> I tied it down to a specific font sserief.fon 18,576 bytes (generated
>> with fontforge ?) This being present in \windows\fonts causes the
>> license & help dialogues text to be blank in the webengine application..
>> while in notepad MS sans serif text is also blank. Another, much larger
>> sserief.fon file (about 62Kbytes) was present in X11/truetype (which may
>> have come from a windows system ?) was used instead which worked just
>> fine in both notepad & webengine. So could fontforge be producing a bad
>> sserief.fon file or .fon files that wine has trouble displaying ?. I
>> checked back to  0.9.30  and  the md5  of the sserief.fon file is the
>> same  as the file in  0.9.35. so the fon file hasn't changed so is it
>> something in wine changed between version 0.9.30 &  35  ?
>>
>> Is it the case these .fon files should not be in /windows/fonts
>>

> We shouldn't be installing fonts into c:\windows\fonts.  They go into
> /usr/share/wine/fonts where Wine should find them (or they'll be found
> in the build tree if you're running straight from there).
>
> fontforge earlier than about Jan 2006 does have some problems
> generating the bitmap fonts, so that may be part of your problem.
>
> Huw.

/usr/share/wine/fonts does not exist on my system. Is this directory
supposed to be created by wine/winecfg or by the make install when
compiling from source.

I've compiled again from source & started with a fresh .wine directory
but /usr/share/wine/fonts/ still does not exist. Are you sure that's
correct or do have to manually create the directory ?

Nick